Plastic Injection Mold Designer
Date: Posted 05-Jan-2015, Closing 31-Jan-2015 (CST)
Location: St. Charles, IL
Employment Type: Full Time
Works with cross-functional teams as well as on independent projects to implement new product designs & modifications for current equipment to improve quality, cost, usability, and overall customer value.
The mold designer takes care of the total system as well as inner workings/engineering of a design.
- Consults with employees regarding engineering problems with existing tooling.
- Designs machinery, parts, assemblies and components for equipment.
- Creates and updates detailed drawings and assemblies required for manufacturing using the company's CAD system.
- Recommends design of new tools and engineering changes on existing tools; recommends purchase of equipment and materials as necessary.
- Assists in preparing and updating instructional and training materials for customers use.
- Works with a team of engineers and designers to develop the conceptual, preliminary and detail design and the most critical parts.
- Initiates design of preliminary and production prints according to customer specifications.
- Studies specifications, engineering blueprints, tool orders and shop data and confers with Project Manager, Engineering Manager and/or Plant Superintendent to resolve design problems related to material characteristics, dimensional tolerances, service requirements, manufacturing procedures and cost.
- Designs final prints to meet customers' requirements.
- Maintains engineering procedures including job log on a daily basis to ensure that changes and correct prints are recorded and approved at the proper levels.
- Recommends changes to design specifications to improve integrity of the mold design.
- Purchases necessary materials from suppliers within company guidelines.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Designs with concerns for manufacturability.
- Completes thorough documentation of design work.
- Partners with component suppliers to improve results.
- Provides technical product support to manufacturing, marketing and sales.
- May work in a team along with designers to create the drawings necessary for prototyping and production.
- May create drawings using CAD and solid modeling software
- May trains subordinate Design staff
- Collaborates with Project Manager, Engineering Manager, and Plant Superintendent regarding design of new tooling, engineering changes on existing tools, preliminary quote drawings and purchase of necessary materials.
- Assists plant employees with design specifications, sampling and any engineering problems with existing tooling.
- Interacts closely and frequently with customers regarding design requirements, and with suppliers to purchase materials.
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing Technology, or 4 to 10 years of trade school, vocational education or equivalent
- 2- 4 years of relevant experience in an Engineering position
- Experience with 3D CAD and solid modeling software
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to analyze and synthesize complex concepts in technology and scientific systems; strong cognitive abilities; excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong collaboration and project management skills
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
Apply Now Return to Jobs Page